The very first version of the Chamber Business Awards has been launched at the Alisa Hotel by The Ghana National Chamber of Commerce (GNCC). The event which was launched Tuesday, 13th June 2017 is expected to take place at the Banquet Hall in Accra on November 25, 2017.
The Chamber Business Awards 2016 which is organized under the theme “Enterprises in Transition: Recognizing Innovative Businesses in Ghana” is part of Ghana National Chamber of Commerce’s efforts to foster ethical practices and promote businesses that have demonstrated excellence in leadership and innovation in contributing to the socioeconomic development of Ghana.
The objective of the awards according to GNCC is to acknowledge and celebrate key businesses and personalities who have contributed meaningfully to business practice in Ghana, to inspire and promote the entrepreneurial spirit in the Ghanaian by highlighting the success stories of outstanding award winners, to unearth the depth of existing talents in the country by recognize excellence in Corporate Reputation Management, to promote high professional standards and to highlight the vital role of the chamber in championing advocacy and networking.
In an interview, the Executive Director of The Chartered Institute of Marketing, Ghana, Kwabena Akuamoah Agyekum said with its mandate enshrined in LI 611 of 1968 (Act 262), the Chamber is encouraged to provide leadership for the growth and prosperity of businesses in Ghana and that influenced their decision to have the awards.
According to him, GNCC in its quest to give a high level of credibility, trust, independence and recognition to the awards, engaged the services of a reputable accounting firm to adjudicate the nomination and selection of award winners.
The awards will be in three sections, that is, the Business Awards which will have 16 categories with emphasis on excellence and quality of service and product delivery; the Personality Awards which will focus on Young Entrepreneur of the Year, Chamber Business Man of the Year, Chamber Business Woman of the Year; and the Special Awards which will be to deserving chamber members or personalities.
Speaking at the launch of the programme, Nana Dr. Appiagyei Dankawoso I; President of GNCC said the awards is to appreciate and applaud the private sector by recognizing their efforts in thriving to be excellent through its leadership, creativity and innovative ways in contributing to the socio-economic development of the country.
According to the Chief Director at the Ministry of Trade and Industry, Dawarnoba Baeka who spoke on behalf of the Minister, the ministry has fully endorsed the Chamber Business Awards and hopes it will motivate businesses to be innovative and stay competitive while adhering to best business practices.
The award is opened to all registered businesses in the country and the criteria for selection will focus on the following:
1. Annual Turnover, Profit and Tax Compliance
2. Thought Leadership Engagements
3. Innovation and Technology
4. Customer Service Schemes
5. Employment Creation and People Management
6. Corporate Social Responsibility
7. Environment Management and Corporate Reputation Management
1. Nominations open on 13th June 2017 and ends midnight of 7th July 2017
2. Vetting and short listing of Nominations done by Awards Planning and Selection Committee
3. Shortlisted nominees will be written to and requested to respond to a set of questionnaires/criteria with respect to their various categories
4. Receipt of filled questionnaires closes midnight of August 31st, 2017
5. Panel with the supervision of Adjudicator will review all qualified entries and select winners for the various categories
6. Awards winners will be presented to the Chamber Council as final arbiters
7. Final winners will be announced and will receive their awards at the Awards Dinner Night on 25th November 2017.