Tackling the Water Crisis: Gold Fields Foundation Joins Forces with World Vision to Make a Difference

Back to Article
Tackling the Water Crisis: Gold Fields Foundation Joins Forces with World Vision to Make a Difference

Share this post

Tackling the Water Crisis: Gold Fields Foundation Joins Forces with World Vision to Make a Difference

Tackling the Water Crisis: Gold Fields Foundation Joins Forces with World Vision to Make a Difference

The Gold Fields Ghana Foundation and World Vision Ghana have formalised a partnership valued at approximately US$385,714 in a groundbreaking alliance aimed at alleviating the water crisis in the Damang-Huni Valley Municipality of the Western Region,

With signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in Accra, the Gold Fields Foundation is expected to commit US$270,000, constituting 70 percent of the total project cost. Meanwhile, World Vision Ghana pledges the remaining 30 percent, totalling an estimated US$115,714.

The latest collaboration by the two entities, it was underscored, highlights their shared dedication to tackling the acute challenges surrounding water access and sustainability in the identified host communities of Gold Fields Ghana.

By concentrating on the Damang-Huni Valley Municipality, the initiative seeks to usher in positive change by enhancing water availability and instituting sustainable management practices.

The Country Director of World Vision Ghana, Laura Cristina DelValle, in a brief remark to seal the partnership, noted that a staggering 18 million people in Ghana lack access to safely managed water, according to Safe Water Network’s 2023 report.

“Also, according to (UNICEF, 2023), 76 percent of households in Ghana are at risk of drinking water that is contaminated with fecal matter.

“Despite the efforts of successive governments and development partners, she said access to safe and potable water remains a major challenge in Ghana. Improving access to water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) for children and their families requires strategic interventions,” she stated.

It was against this background that she said their latest partnership marks a significant step toward securing the well-being of children, families and communities in Damang, Ghana.

She said: “This Memorandum of Understanding between World Vision Ghana and Gold Fields Ghana Foundation signifies a bold step in the right direction to address the crucial issue of water access and sustainability in the Damang-Huni Valley Municipality”.

The MoU outlines a comprehensive plan of action aimed at increasing access to safe water, fostering sustainability, strengthening water governance, promoting innovative solutions and prioritising inclusivity.

Through this strategic partnership, both organisations are committed to implementing transformative programmes that will directly impact the lives of countless individuals, particularly children and their families.

The Executive Secretary of Gold Fields Ghana Foundation, Mr. Abdel-Razak Yakubu, acknowledged access to quality water, education, agriculture, health and infrastructure forms part of the pillars of the Foundation.

He disclosed that the Gold Fields Ghana Foundation, which is the first mining sector foundation in the country, as of January 2024, has crossed the US$100million investment, testifying to their commitment to the socio-economic development of communities within the operational areas.

The foundation’s investment covers several areas under education, water and sanitation, health, agriculture, and infrastructure – including training, scholarships and enterprise development.

Given their latest initiative, Mr. Yakubu said: “It is not the investments that matter to us, it is the impact”, highlighting the collaboration with World Vision Ghana as such a critical initiative.

“We are happy that World Vision has agreed to bring your expertise and so many years of experience to bear on this community,” the Executive Secretary said, while also expressing the hope to see the impact on the community.

He further emphasised the foundation’s unwavering commitment to corporate social responsibility and underscored the importance of collective action in addressing complex societal challenges.

The Abakumahene of Wassa Damang, Nana Bene Mireku, known in private life as Dr. Tony Aubyn, on behalf of the beneficiary communities, lauded the initiative while assuring their readiness to commit to the project.

Source: Thebftonline

Back to Article